Inflating a set of cat lungs
Lungs are by most accounts mundane. Everybody has them, few give it much thought. But sequestered within darkness of the chest cavity, enveloping the fluttering heart, there’s an incredible wonder to this oddly inflatable organ.
Dissection is a destructive process. Rudely excised from membranous mooring and nourishing vessels, the deflated lungs appear little more than bloodied meat; amorphous and exposed…….until a breath of air unfurls its secret glory.
Here, a set of cat lungs is inflated with a straw. Comprised of hundreds of millions of microscopic air sacks called alveoli, mammalian lungs harbor air capacity that is difficult to believe unless seen. The color of the entire organ lightens into a soft pink, as each microscopic sac fills with air.
A debt of gratitude is owed to cyborgraptor for her assistance in creating these gifs, as well as the students that helped me film this demo.
Kids, don’t try this at home, OK?
So gross, but so cool….we can’t stop looking at this.
This fascinates me so hardcore.
only 90s kids remember ios 6
Aya Kamikawa: Why she kicks ass
- She is the only openly transgender official in Japan at this point, and the first to seek or win elected office in Japan.
- She won a four-year term as an independent under huge media attention, placing sixth of 72 candidates running for 52 seats in the Setagaya ward assembly, the most populous district in Tokyo. In April 2007, she was re-elected to her second term, placing second of 71 candidates running for 52 in the same ward assembly.
- While the government announced that they would continue to consider her male officially, she stated that she would work as a woman.
- She is devoted to work for various groups, the disabled, single-parent families, homeless people to evening junior high school students, LGBT people and to improve rights for women, children, the elderly. She strives to give support for these people and bring positive changes which would help them in society.
- She was also a committee member for Trans-net Japan (a self-support group for transgender people) and organised meetings and social events to give support and symposiums to raise the public awareness.
So… My dad officially has brought me into the DC Comic world with this gem. :) I now have to play the game and now I can’t wait to read the next volume… In July.
No more excuses.
I will forever reblog this
It’s sort of horrifying that we all know what they’re talking about without them really saying it.. that it’s become that much of a norm in our society that we just know.
Everytime I see this I feel like I need to do more!!
I would just like to point out that the beginning and end of Spirited Away creep me out in the most delicious way possible. I’ve always been a fan of fairy tales, and not just the Grimm and Anderson stuff, almost all my life. Like the honestly faerie court stories.
Themes you see in those reflect strongly in this movie, and comparing them side by side just makes it that much more stark.
Often times you hear that if you get sucked into the fairy realm, you shouldn’t eat their food. It gives them power over you. More often than not, heroes finally escape the fairy realm after what they perceive to be a very short time (a night or a week)…
…only to find that seasons or years have passed.
‘Hey, it’s all dusty in here. Is this someone’s idea of a joke?’
This always freaked me out a little as a kid. Like the OP, I couldn’t help but wonder how long REALLY passed. I always pretended it was something like a week but… Judging by that moss, I can’t say for sure.
A week? Try much MUCH /MUCH/ longer. The plants are a good indicator but a better one is the statue. We’re seeing it from the same angle in each shot. Look in the first one before she enters, it’s not NEW but you can tell what it is.
Now look at the second frame. It’s so eroded it’s just a dull, flat stone.
That thing is solid stone, that must have taken up to, if not more than, a DECADE to wear down that much.
Not to mention that there are new trees next to the car. Just remember how long it actually takes for trees to grow real quick.
Evidence is suggesting they were in there for maybe around 20-30 years.
Also, all of the red paint has been chipped off the building facade.
I watched Spirited Away a few days ago and that always pops into my thoughts. how long were they in there? also how is the car still perfectly fine?!
I now have to rewatch this.
Happy Holidays, everyone! To celebrate the ending of this year and the ringing in of the new, I wanted to give away a few of my favorite things so that I can share some of this happy season with you! I couldn’t just share the season with one person, though, so this giveaway will have 2 WINNERS!
Read the info below to find out how to enter!
- A makeup starter kit including: a makeup bag, a lip product, a cheek product, an eyeshadow quad, and a mascara. If you win this gift, I’ll talk with you about your favorite colors and your makeup style to decide which of my favorite products would work best for you.
- An entertainment package including: Trash by Dorothy Allison, The Best of Roald Dahl by Roald Dahl, and a mix cd of my favorite songs of the moment.
- Giveaway lasts from November 29, 2013 to Midnight on January 1, 2014. This giveaway isn’t holiday-specific, so I want to give everyone a chance to get something for the holidays, regardless of which ones they are (or are not) celebrating.
- Only reblogs with answers will be counted as entries.
- You do not have to be following me to win.
- To enter for the makeup kit, reblog this post and talk about your favorite thing about yourself.
- To enter for the entertainment package, reblog this post and talk about your favorite hobby at the moment.
- I’ll decide the winner with a random number generator.
- I’ll post the winner sometime on January 2, 2014.
Good luck and happy holidays, y’all!
I would say that one thing I like about myself is that I’m very straightforward when it comes to my feelings. I don’t really mess around because I don’t like being on the receiving end of misconstrued words or emotions and it’s happened to me many times. So anything to avoid that for someone else is my ultimate end goal. People sometimes say that I’m blunt or too harsh, but I feel like hiding emotions is much more harsh and blunt than the truth. Of course I’ll use tact and reason, but even when I do, I guess some people live their lives wanting sugar coated answers.
Character design and drawing are tome-sized topics and even if I had all the answers (I don’t - I have a lot to learn), I’m not sure I could communicate them effectively. I’ve gathered some thoughts and ideas here, though, in case they’re helpful.
First, some general things: